Tuesday, July 27, 2004

News Topic

Mood: confused/appalled
Music: none

I was watching the news, and there was a story concerning blogs (I saw another one the night before also, but a different story.) The reporters were talking about how people are using blogs to post about political news and their political viewpoints. They were talking about the Democratic convention in particular. I was a little miffed about this story because they kept making it sound like blogs were use solely for political purposes. That's just the feeling I got.

The story last night that mentioned blogs was about the disappearance of a 14-year-old girl from Indiana. They thought she might have run away with a guy she met on the internet (why are people so stupid?) They think he found out about her through her own personal blog. Again, I got a feeling that they were putting a different spin on blogs. This one gave me the impression that if you have a blog, you will most certainly pick up a stalker (I wish! lol). Near the end of the story, they mentioned to parents watching that they should buy spy software to know what their children are doing on the computer! That was it. Story over. I have some major problems with this...

The end of that story brought up a whole set of trust issues between parents and their children (I'm talking about older children - teens.) While they are at it, they should have suggested for parents to install a hidden camera in the child's room, plant a tracking device on the child, and hire a professional to follow the child when he/she is out of the house! I still can't believe that they advocated spying on one's child. If the reporters were not trying to say this, they should have been a lot clearer as to what they meant with the spy software for the computer. I think that if parents want to know what their kids are doing on the PC, they should talk to them. Ask them what they do while on the computer. Ask them if you can watch what they do on the computer. At least tell them that you will be spying on them! It scares me that our society has gone toward spying on our own children. I understand parents want to keep their children safe, but there has to be a better way than spying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home